Friday, September 2, 2011

WoPad i7 - 7" Rockchip Cortex-A8 Tablet Review - Part I

Okay, I just got my WoPad device via DHL about 30 minutes ago... My supplier is wicked fast. I ordered on Thursday night and I got today on Monday :). here is a quick rundown on my impressions of everything thus far...

Packaging - Nice... looks professional :), sweet color graphics on the box. Although the picture of the tablet on the top of the box is a different device lol... Overall a plus though.

Accessories - Headphones SUCK! (big surprise... or not... I didn't have any expectations anyhow...) They include a screen protector (and not the crappy pre-installed one, but a separate apply-it-yourself screen protector... this is a plus... of course I haven't tried using it yet :)... Power Adapter... cheap but I am sure it will work. At least it is probably easy to replace :)... USB cable is your standard fare...

I am fairly impressed with this device...

Each of these is out of 5 stars...

Physical - 3 Stars
It is a little bit bigger than the RENA3 all around. Same width, slightly thicker (although I will comment on this in a moment), slightly taller. Despite being a little bit thicker than the RENA3, it actually feels thinner in the hand because of the shape of the device. This is a plus. Also, the back IS NOT PLASTIC... At least it sure doesn't feel like plastic. It is extremely rigid and it isn't glossy. This is a HUGE plus and the main reason it earns 3 of its 3 stars on the physical... Speaker placement is good, hands don't block them when holding the device and the mesh grilles look nice.

a. I/O (input output) Full Size USB port... another BIG plus. No stupid adapter needed to plug in a mouse or keyboard or hub. Just a standard size USB :)... It also has a Micro-USB port to connect the device to a pc... Power Connector... Headphone jack... Micro-HDMI out.... MicoSD card slot. I/O looks a "little" bit cheap. For example, the Full size USB port doesn't match up "exactly" with the outside of the case. I am nitpicking a bit but it is noticeable. However, it is important that I note that it doesn't hinder its function. Also, HDMI-out works, almost perfectly (except the screen on the device goes black but HDMI-out works really well) and this is a HUGE plus in that it seems the manufacturer actually put time into the firmware! Amazing... My only problem is that the connection doesn't feel very secure and if if the cable isn't placed into the device "just so" then the colors on the screen it is outputting to go awry. Overall, the HDMI "loose connection" issue AND the I/O ports looking just a little bit off... I dock half a star...

b. Buttons - Across the top - Power, Menu, Back... I would knock a partial star off for NOT having physical volume keys but I am already docking enough points in the next section and some would argue that physical volume keys are a personal preference. Anyhow, I wish they were there, but they aren't. I also wish the back button was on the front face like pretty much every other android device. It is annoying in that it is on the top edge but, oh well. The buttons all "feel" good and are fairly solid. I think I will eventually get used to the placement of the back button and it won't be that big of a deal. This setup IS probably preferable to the UBER sensitive capacitive buttons on the front of the RENA3.

c. Overall Build Quality - Here is why it isn't a 4.5-star... The front face of the device doesn't feel extremely "secure" with the back aluminum shell. It feel just a tiny tiny bit loose. So, slightly cheap feel on the front... If I "try" to "bend" the device the front face will start to come up at one of the corners... Not COOL... I should note that this only happens if you are actually trying to bend the device... but it isn't taking much pressure. I worry that if I were to say... drop the device from 2 or 3 feet up (like off of my kitchen table) and a corner of it hit the ground that the front face would "pop out" I am only docking 1.5 stars for this as the device overall looks and feels good... But it is obvious that build quality could have been a little bit better... perhaps super glue or stronger plastic snaps would have helped? But then it is probably easy to get into so that might be a plus for the hacking community.

Performance - 5 Stars - Touchscreen response is EXCELLENT. Easily as good as the RENA3. The Android UI is ridiculously smooth. I haven't had much time to test internet browsing yet but I have high hopes based on the phenomenal UI experience. This is what I expected from the first RK2918 device I had but it just didn't quite deliver... I did try out heavy gunner. (I ran into an odd issue with the keyboard where the "enter" key disappeared and was replaced by a smiley key... this kept me from getting into heavy gunner which also has the poor design of requiring you to enter a name into a box that has no "okay" button under it to confirm. So without an enter key on my keyboard and without an okay key in the game I was literraly stuck and had to force a device reboot lol, I replaced the built-in keyboard and this fixed the issue) Heavy Gunner is PHENOMENAL on this device. It is fast, responsive and the graphics look great. That was a BIG complaint I had against the other RK2918 device. Web browsing was NOT as smooth as it could be. This was web page loading speeds AND scrolling/pinch-to-zoom. I haven't used this device enough yet to say yay or nay yet though. The one or two pages that I did look at felt better than how things were on my last RK2918 device but they did not feel as smooth as the RENA3.

...............More to come ---> I am tired of typing and I am waiting on the device to charge up ----> Getting a feel for battery life is going to be important -----> so far I am pretty happy though and this device is probably going to be on my digital shelves at TopNotchTablets in the very near future (as long as battery life checks out...)-------> Did I mention it charges via the micro-USB port!!! Heck yes! That is also another huge plus :).........................

Cheers,

Roman

http://topnotchtablets.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment